Today’s Featured Conversation is with CenterLink CEO Terry Stone, who has fun almost every day at work while building his national organization. In just a few months, Terry will retire from a long and meaningful career as a nonprofit executive.
As tribute to a true nonprofit leader, I asked Terry if we could have a conversation about a career well spent that would include advice for building your own career with intentionality and meaning. He offered five specific tips for a successful and meaningful career:
- Surround yourself with people who know more than you
- You’re going to make mistakes
- Learn each other’s work and communication styles, as well as what you each need to make decisions
- Get rid of the words: “I’m too busy…”
- Have fun!
Terry and I dive deep into each of these tips, but also discuss deciding whether a prospective employer is the right fit for you, managing productive board relationships, building stronger boards, and getting things done.
- CenterLink: www.lgbtcenters.org
- Guest’s Contact Information
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 954-765-6024