Nothing kills enthusiasm and saps productivity like long, disorganized, or unproductive meetings. For this reason, we offer the following tips for holding truly effective meetings:
1. Prepare and distribute an agenda and written reports before every meeting.
2. Develop agendas that solicit meaningful input and ensure the board (or committee) votes on important issues.
3. Stick to the printed agenda, tabling other items of business for a future meeting.
4. Encourage prompt attendance by starting and ending on time.
5. Develop and enforce written expectations regarding meeting attendance.
6. Follow up after the meeting with a meeting summary that includes a task list with deadlines. Everyone needs a reminder !